Skip to main content

How Far is Youlgreave from Doncaster? And Other Geography Questions

My sister told me about a new TV series (well, new to me!) called The Generations Project, and I read a post on their blog about Geography.  This reminded me of another tip I should share with you -- using maps in genealogy research!

Ten years ago (tomorrow, actually, happy anniversary honey!) I married an Englishman, and found I had a whole new line of genealogy to research, from scratch, and having never researched England genealogy.  No one had ever attempted his family history, so I set about doing it.  While I was researching I would ask him numerous questions such as, "Is Youlgreave close to Doncaster?," "Is Balby in Yorkshire County?"  I soon learned how much my husband DIDN'T know about his own country, so I was on my own.

I have looked at historical maps and actually have a software program called AniMap* for US research, but I still revert to Google Maps for simple and quick answers to my geography questions.  I really like the "Get Directions" section to map how far Youlgreave was from Doncaster in England, to help me decide whether a genealogy "find" could be relevant or not.  (I have found that my husband's family did not migrate much at all in England.)

Also, I love using Google Maps to check/correct the spelling of town names with their helpful hints such as:  "Did you mean Plaistow instead of Playstow?"

I have always loved maps and still to this day read a map as we are driving to vacation destinations (I love to read about nearby historical sites, etc.)  By including map research in my genealogy over the years, I think I can claim to now know more about England's geography than my husband does!

Jirene

*AniMap:  Finds old towns and counties long-since disappeared from the map or that have changed names. AniMap displays over 2,300 maps to show the changing county boundaries for each of the adjacent United States for every year since colonial times.  I have such an old version of this software, but I did find that Legacy.com is now selling it here.

Facebook

Facebook Recommendations

Followers


Web Designing In Karachi



Haroof.com


Politics blogs

My Zimbio

Email Subscribe

Enter your email address:

Watch online Live TV

Popular posts from this blog

Matric General Group Result SECONDARY SCHOOL CERTIFICATE (S. S. C.) PART - II CLASS - X - 2010 (www.apnieyesp.com )

PASSED THE SECONDARY SCHOOL CERTIFICATE (S. S. C.) PART - II CLASS - X) ANNUAL EXAMINATION, 2010. ERRORS AND OMISSIONS EXCEPTED, CANDIDATES BEARING THE FOLLOWING ROLL NUMBERS ARE DECLARED TO HAVE PASSED THE SECONDARY SCHOOL CERTIFICATE (S. S. C.) PART - II CLASS - X) ANNUAL EXAMINATION, 2010. ------------------------------------------------- GENERAL GROUP (REG&PVT) --- GRADE..'A-ONE' ---- ----------------------- ( CANDIDATES SECURING TOTAL MARKS 680 AND ABOVE) MARKS SECURED BY THE CANDIDATES OUT OF TOTAL MARKS OF 850 ARE MENTIONED AGAINST EACH ROLL NUMBER IN BRACKET --------------------------------------------------- 601086 (689) XXX (XXX) XXX (XXX) XXX (XXX) XXX (XXX) XXX (XXX) 601327 (681) 363 (684) 364 (719) 407 (685) 664 (682) 788 (687) 601836 (692) 882 (683) XXX (XXX) XXX (XXX) XXX (XXX) XXX (XXX) 602315 (723) 316 (715) 320 (712) 321 (739) 325 (686) 326 (702) 602327 (683) 329 (70...

Imran Khan sent me inappropriate text messages, claims Ayesha Gulalai

ISLAMABAD: Former Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf MNA Ayesha Gulalai alleged that Imran Khan sent her inappropriate text messages. Addressing a press conference, Gulalai said she wanted to hold presser tomorrow but as some PTI women had a press conference so she had to respond. “I am not concerned about party ticket or NA-1 seat, it is an illogical allegation, she said.  “Among many things, sending text messages is one of their bad habits,” she said. Gulalai said that Imran Khan always talks about turn of people to leave, adding that now it’s the PTI chairman’s turn. “Imran Khan cannot keep himself in control,” she said. The former PTI MNA said that Imran wanted to introduce western culture. She said that she is not the only one facing such a situation, many women in the party are facing such behaviour. She said that when she was in the PPP, she felt very safe. “I am not joining Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz,” she said.  In one of the party meetings, Imran uttered...

Labels

Show more